Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Snow Day Fun


With two snow days so far this week, I'm pleased to say we managed to do some fun outdoors stuff on one of our extra days off.

Monday brought a few inches of snow, so we stuffed the kids and skis into the car and headed to Ken Reid Conservation Area for a test run.  I'll admit, I was nervous.  The first attempts at trying our kids with activities like this always end with the kids fighting and me reaching for the Tylenol.  My mum told me the first time she took me and my brother skiing, my dad swore it would be the last time.  Back then, the skis you could get for kids didn't require special boots, you had a spring that went around the back of your ankle to hold your foot in, and it didn't actually work too well.  Dad spent most of the day putting skis back on us because they kept falling off.  Luckily we didn't have that problem, but that didn't mean it was all clear sailing...or skiing I suppose I should say.

Squatch had his skis on and hadn't even tried to move before he fell over.  I didn't take this as a good sign.  He fell about every 4 feet for the first 3/4 of the 1.2 km trail.  Then it was like it just clicked and he was getting the motion down.  Bubbie's first fall resulted in tears...I'm not sure if she actually did hurt her ankle or if she was embarrassed.  She did great too, getting more detailed advice on technique from Chris, (apparently he's an expert even though this was only his second time out.)

The good news is that both of them liked it enough that after a quick snack of hot apple cider and snickerdoodles, they wanted to do a bit more so we strapped on the skis once more and did another kilometre or so.

Yesterday brought rain, freezing rain, and more rain, so we stayed inside and mourned the loss of Monday's snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment