Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Lipsmackin' backpackin'


I bought Lipsmackin' Backpackin', as well as the vegetarian one, a month or so ago.  So far, I've only tried a few of the recipes but I thought I'd give my thoughts on them.

First, they are full of a ton of good ideas, with easy to follow instructions, and each recipe has the nutritional information as well as weight of the dried meal.  This is really cool.  I've book marked a lot of them to try out, and the ones I have tried were both yummy (Koolau Ridge Granola and Baja Burritos)

I love that the meals aren't fancy, or full of exotic ingredients, but my one issue with them books is that they call for several things I don't think they sell in Canada.  Mostly, this is a brand thing.  The problem is, without knowing what the product looks like I don't know how to find a suitable substitute.  I find this all the time when buying magazines like Taste of Home.  There are products we just don't get up here, or maybe we do but only in the city.  We don't even have tuna or chicken sold in foil pouches in our stores and I've gone to every grocery store in several surrounding towns with no success.  

Anyway, the complaint is fairly minor, and probably easy to get around with a little time and effort.  There's a good variety of recipes covering all three meals as well as breads, drinks and desserts.  There's even some interesting thoughts on "meal systems"where you don't pre-mix your meals into one bag.  Instead, you have bags with each type of vegetable, meat and carbs, as well as a variety of spices, then you can mix and match on the trail. 

If you aren't too sure of your ability to modify your own recipes for drying or are just looking for some good ideas, the books are definitely worth buying.  I can't wait to try out some more of the suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment