Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Potential Camping Recipe - Finally!

After several failed attempts to find a recipe that everyone in the family actually liked, that can easily be dried for back country trips.  Sort of.  Bubbie ate a little of it, and said she kind of liked it, but then went and had some Mr. Noodles.

The recipe came from the back of a box of Minute Rice.  I don't know why I bother buying cook books, so many good recipes can be found on packaging and product websites.  Minute Rice is such a good camp food, I don't know why I didn't think to check their website before.

So, the recipe itself is fast and easy to make at home.  

Southwestern Beef Skillet

1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 cup medium, chunky salsa
1 cup water
1 cup frozen corn 
1 cup frozen green beans
1 1/2 cups Minute Rice.
Shredded cheese

Brown beef and add chilli powder, salsa, water, corn and beans.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in the rice, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.  The recipe says to add the cheese before it sits, but we added it to each serving.

So, next step is to try drying everything and see if I can figure out the easiest way to put it together at camp so as to use as few dishes as possible, in as few steps as possible. Something tells me I'll be eating this for lunches quite a bit until I get it right.  I'll post instructions when I figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment