Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Three Sister's Soup

I apologize for not posting this sooner.  I've had a few days of internet issues, and the hamster escaped...in my office.  The whole room got torn apart as we chased him down, so until I got it all reorganized, I couldn't get to the computer.  I still have a narrow path through boxes, it's sort of a treacherous journey getting over here, but since all the kids' unwrapped Christmas presents are hidden under my desk, I couldn't let anyone else help.

Anyway, I did try this recipe from The Complete Trail Food Cookbook and it was alright.  I think I'd go a little lighter on the thyme and add a tsp of vegetable soup base  (without any MSG) and see how it works.

My only issue with it is that it tells you to let the ingredients soak for 20 minutes then simmer for another 10-15.  I'd like to try it with a cosy (when I make one) and see if it works that way simply for fuel conservation.

THREE SISTER'S SOUP

2 tbsp dried corn kernels
2 tbsp dried green bean pieces
2 tbsp dried winter squash pieces
1 tbsp dried potato slices, crumbled
2 tsp dried onion pieces
2 tsp dried celery slices
1/2 tsp dried parsley, crumbled
1/4 tsp dried minced garlic
1/4 tsp crumbled dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

2 cups water

Soak the ingredients in the water for 20 minutes than bring to a boil and simmer 10-15 minutes.  The book says once you mix the ingredients, they only have a shelf life of a month (I imagine freezing them would give you more time.)

For anyone who's interested, the dried ingredients weighed 1.1 oz and fit easily into a snack size zip top bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment