Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

November means...

...I probably won't be blogging much.  Not because of the weather, though I gotta say, it's not looking like this month will be any better than the last.  The reason I won't be around much is that I'm one of those crazy people who participates in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and hopefully will spend a fair bit of my time writing rather than hiking or exploring the wilderness.

This winter we are hoping to get the whole family cross country skis.  Chris has never tried this, having grown up within biking distance of a downhill ski hill, and he's really excited to see what the hype is all about.  I, on the other hand, did a fair bit of cross country skiing as a kid...and I pretty much sucked at it...but that's okay because it's not about technique or speed.  It's one of the best forms of exercise you can do, it gets you out exploring areas you might not be able to go with just boots on, and lets face it, it's pretty fun.  I can remember a bunch of aunts, uncles an cousins heading out on skis, and building a small fire to heat up soup or chili, and making hot chocolate.  As a kid, this was a wonderful way to spend a day.  It's not always possible to build a camp fire, especially when on a public trail, but a small camp stove would work just as well.

Finding equipment can be a little challenging, but that's one of my goals for the next two months.  If anyone has any ideas for where to shop for skiis and boots, I'd love some advice.  My mum has been buying some at yard sales, but it's a bit hard to find boots for the kids.

As I look into good trails for cross country skiing I'll post more.  I'm really excited to teach Chris and the kids, and to add another fun family activity to our winter agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment