Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Camp Recipe: Fruit Crisp

On our trip to Presqu'ile, I had two desserts planned, fruit crisp for the first night, and apple hand pies for the second.  We didn't manage the second, mostly because Chris went for a run, from our site to the lighthouse, which was approximately 8km.  To prove he'd done so, he left 2 rocks on the ledge of the lighthouse for the kids to get, so after supper, we drove down to get his proof.

Anyway, the fruit crisp was super easy.  We made it in our Weber camp BBQ but you could make it on the fire or with a reflector oven as well...(still waiting for my handyman to make me one...)

This recipe is customizable and to be honest, I didn't measure anything, just threw topping ingredients into a bag.  I just grabbed some frozen fruit from our smoothie stash, and dumped it all into one bag.  My mix included peach slices, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries.  You could take along some fresh apples to add to it if you want...I had planned to but in the rush of packing up, forgot all about it.

Camp Fruit Crisp
about 1 cup large flake oats
about 1/4 cup flour
about about 1/2 cup brown sugar
about 1/4 cup white sugar
about 4-6 cups frozen fruit
a few globs of margarine

At Home: Measure the oats, flour and brown sugar into a ziplock bag.  I didn't pack the white sugar separately, just took it from the container I have for tea and coffee.

At Camp: Pour the frozen fruit into a disposable square baking pan (I got mine at the dollar store, 3 for $1) Sprinkle with sugar (you can use as much as you want, depending on what kind of fruit you used.  Tarter fruit will need more sugar.)  Drop the gobs of margarine into the bag of topping mix and mush it around to work the margarine in, or you can dump it all into a bowl and use a fork.  Obviously you won't have a pastry cutter but you can use two butter knives or the back of a spoon to blend it in, or use your hands.  Sprinkle on top of the fruit.  Take a piece of tin foil and put it onto the BBQ rack, then put the pan on top of that.  Cook at a medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling.  You might want to let it cool for a bit.  We baked ours then left it in the BBQ, with the heat off while we went for our drive. (Keep the lid down though so bugs and wildlife don't get into it.)

On our trip to Canisbay, I left out the flour from the topping mix because Dad was cutting back on gluten.  Also, before I left home, I peeled and sliced a few apples and pears, put them in a freezer bag and put a few squirts of lemon juice in. swished them in the bag, then froze it along with some frozen blueberries and frozen mango.  I ended up with enough fruit to half fill a large freezer bag, but I never measured it.  The pan shown above fed five people, with some going back for seconds...and thirds.  Whipped topping would have been a nice addition but we didn't take any.

No comments:

Post a Comment